Prof. Hom-Lay Wang
A true educator and your personal mentor
2010 AAP Award University of Michigan Outstanding Teaching & Mentoring in Periodontics
2007 Morton L. Perel Annual Award for Dental Implant Educator
DDS Taipei Medical College, Taipei, Taiwan DDS,MSD, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA Honorary Professor International, University of Romania Ph D from Hiroshima University, Japan
Professor and Director of Graduate Periodontics, The University of Michigan, School of Dentistry.
Endowed Collegiate Professor of Periodontics, The University of Michigan, School of Dentistry.
Diplomate, Former Director & Chair of American Board of Periodontology, (1 st Asian elected as Director)
Advisor, Eng.A.B. Growth Factors and Bone Regeneration Research Chair. King Saud University, Saudi Arabia.
Member of Leadership Development And Qualification Committee and Consultant, Scientific Oversight Committee, American Academy of Periodontology.
Chair and Member of Website Online Education Committee and Clinical Innovations Committee, Academy of Osseointegration.
Ambassador, American Academy of Periodontology Foundation.
Visiting Professor of
1) Taipei Medical University, Taiwan
2) Peking University, School of Stomatology, Peking, China
3) Nanjing Medical University, School of Stomatology, Nanjing, China
4) Hiroshima University, Japan
Founding Editorial Board: Clinical Advances in Periodontics (AAP new online journal)
Associate Editor: International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants, eJournal of Oral & Maxillofacial Research, International Chinese Journal of Dentistry, Periodontology, Oral Surgery, Esthetic & Implant Dentistry
Journal of Periodontology, Journal of Clinical Periodontology, Clinical Oral Implant Research, International Journal of Periodontics & Restorative Dentistry, Clinical Dentistry and Research, Annals of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, The Journal of Clinical and Practical Oral Implantology, Scientifica, The Open Journal of Dentistry, European Journal of Dentistry, Journal of Osteology and Biomaterials, The Open Biomedical Engineering Journal, The Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice, Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry...etc.
Biomedical Engineering Journal, "Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry". Etc.
- 2005 Periodontal Regeneration, Journal of Periodontology Publication.
- Management of implant complications, (In Progress)
- Author and co-author of 25 book chapters/invited reviews
- Published more than 350 scientific articles
- Member of Working group to develop the consensus report in Treatment options for the maintenance of marginal bone around endosseous oral implants, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
- Member of Task force to develop the white paper on peri-implantitis, American Academy of Periodontology
Presentations & Research
- Presented more than 500 lectures at various international congresses
- More than 20 years of research on Guided Tissue / Bone Regeneration, implant biology, implant esthetics & oral plastic surgery.
- Former Consultant, ADA Commission on Dental Accreditation
- Past President, Midwest Society of Periodontology,USA
- Past President, Omicron Kappa Upsilon
- Past President - International Congress of Oral Implantologists.
- Former Editor in Chief Open Journal of Dentistry and Implant Dentistry
- Former member of Research Submissions Subcommittee, American Academy of Periodontology
- 2015 Fellow, Academy of Osseointegration, Chicago, IL.
- 2014ITI Andre Schroeder Research Prize (for the paper published in the COIR:
- "Fu J-H, Oh T-J, Benavides E, Rudek I, Wang H-L. A randomized clinical trial evaluating the efficacy of the sandwich bone augmentation technique in increasing buccal bone thickness during implant placement surgery: I. Clinical and radiographic parameters."
- 2010 AAP Award University of Michigan Outstanding Teaching & Mentoring in Periodontics
- 2007 Morton L. Perel Annual Award for Dental Implant Educator (only select one per year)
- 2005 The best Article of the Year in Implant Dentistry 2004
- 2005 The best Article of the Journal of Oral Implantology in 2004
- 2004 The Charles E. English Annual Award in Clinical Science and Techniques
- 2004 Distinguished Service Award from Students
- 2003 Best Faculty Award
- 2000~2003 Member of the Scientific Information Committee for the AADR
- 1993 Omicron Kappa Upsilon
- 1992 AADS Clinical Research Fellowship Award